About the Cottage
As you enter Overdale, the warm, comfortable and ‘home from home’ ambiance is immediately apparent.
Pictures from local artists adorn the walls, the bookcases are stuffed with walking and guide books, maps and a range of good holiday reading and there is a cupboard devoted to games and toys. There is an additional fridge on the barn ground floor and table tennis, table football and an exercise cross trainer plus general games on the barn top floor.
The Ground Floor – Kitchen, Sitting Room, Boot room and Barn
The kitchen is impressively equipped with cooker, microwave, dishwasher (tablets provided) and fridge and there is a dining table seating up to 8. The large sitting room (with jaw dropping views) has a multi fuel stove (complementing the oil central heating). All fuel for both is included in the rent. Also in the sitting room is a smart TV, Broadband/Wifi router and a Blue tooth amplifier/CD player
The Barn was acquired in 2020 and is accessed via a door in the kitchen. The upper floor is a games room with table tennis, table football, a cross trainer and other games.
A additional bonus on the ground floor is the stable/boot room which houses washing machine, freezer, boots, coats and is an ideal place for storing bikes, pushchairs and drying off wet dogs! (We welcome up to 2 dogs – any more via negotiation.
Upstairs there is a double aspect master bedroom with the same amazing views, a second double bedroom and a third bedroom with adult sized bunk beds. This room also houses a quantity of children’s toys – handy on a wet day – we sometimes struggle to get our grandchildren out on walks when we all stay at Overdale as the range of toys and games is so good. The bedrooms have duvets and pillows but to keep our prices down ( and after canvassing our regular families), we ask guests to bring duvet covers, pillow cases, bottom sheets and towels.
This is reflected in our rates which are very low bearing in mind the accommodation and facilities offered.
Also on the first floor is a large bathroom with power shower above the bath and there is a handy separate second toilet.
The enclosed garden to the front of the cottage includes a sun trap patio area and a drive which can take 2 cars. The garage houses the coal bunker and there is space there for storing bikes. At the back of the house there is a grass area and a bench which is ideal for enjoying the views over Wensleydale. This spectacular and uninterrupted view across Wensleydale was one of the reasons we were first drawn to Overdale many years ago. It is very special.
- There is a high chair, travel cot and stair gate for use as required.
- This is a NO smoking cottage.
- You can walk in every direction – up hill and down dale! – directly from the front door.
- Less than a mile away ( accessed across by a footpath across meadows or by road) is Hawes, our nearest market town/village which has pubs, shops, restaurants, a bakery and a butcher who sells locally produced meat. The two grocery shops, a weekly market and the butcher should meet all your needs.
- Burtersett boasts its own art gallery run by our friend, artist, Brian Alderman who can answer any questions you might have about life in the Dales and you might even want to buy one of his paintings..
- It also has a tiny ‘village hall’ known as ‘The Institute’ which offers walkers a welcome tea or coffee on a DIY basis accompanied by an honesty box!
- Overdale has an amazing range of birds visiting the garden – visitors are invited to top up the bird table occasionally (food kept in the garage!)
- There is a door from the kitchen to the barn. Guests are welcome to use it. There is an additional fridge on the ground floor and a games room upstairs.